Saturday, January 24, 2009

GREAT ART QUOTES


1. Life is a great big canvas, and you should throw all the paint on it you can. - Danny Kaye
2. Science is what we understand well enough to explain to a computer. Art is everything else we do. - Donald Knuth, In Technology/Computers
3. Arthur Dent hoped and prayed there wasn't an afterlife. Then, realizing the contradiction, he merely hoped there wasn't an afterlife. - Douglas Adams, In Literature
4. Conception, my boy, fundamental brain work, is what makes all the difference in art.
- Dante Gabriel Rosetti
5. I've lost the will to paint literally. I don't see the point in worrying away with a paintbrush trying to reproduce a literal photographic texture like cloth or skin. Paint is best at being paint. Paint can never be as perfect as nature when it is trying to imitate nature. It's a lost cause. Paint can only be as beautiful as nature when it is nature, when it is it's own texture. Marks on paper have their own beauty, and it is this slipping from the literal world into the world of abstract qualities that I try to achieve in my work. If I need a shirt to look like a shirt I'll scan it into my computer. If I want a shirt to feel like the wind, or like a constricting skin, or angry, or like a consoling embrace, then maybe it should be painted or drawn... - Dave McKean

No comments: